Looking for something to do with that butternut squash you picked up at Trader Joe’s last week that’s still sitting on your kitchen counter? Well look no further, this is the perfect Autumn inspired meal that will have you family asking for more!
The last 2 weeks my kids and I have been on the road and eating way more fast food than I care to admit, so coming home to this hot meal tonight was exactly what my tummy troubles ordered. I’ve adapted the recipe from Camille’s Kitchen and I think you’ll love it just as much as we did! The smooth texture of the butternut squash with a toasty crunch from the pumpkin seeds will have your taste buds saying “This is what fall should taste like!”
And if you’re needing a clean side dish to pair with this delicious fall meal, try my Zucchini Cilantro Slaw. You’ll love the simple 4 ingredients and the way it compliments the flavors of the meal.
Butternut Squash & Black Bean Tostadas
- 1 butternut squash, split vertically and seeds removed
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 4 pita breads (6-inch)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- juice from 2 limes, divided
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 avocados, sliced
- garnish: chopped cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds, and smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush butternut squash halves with olive oil, and place flesh side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 45 minutes. Set aside to let cool slightly, then mash in a bowl with cumin, chili powder, honey, and sea salt.
- Place pita breads on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on the edges but still chewy in the center. Remove and set aside.
- Heat black beans and toss with half of lime juice and drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk together yogurt with other half of lime juice and a pinch of sea salt. Add a little water if needed, until it’s a consistency that can be drizzled.
- On each toasted pita, spread a scoop of mashed butternut squash, a scoop of black beans, and a few slices of avocado. Drizzle with the lime yogurt, then garnish with cilantro, pumpkin seeds, and a dusting of smoked paprika if desired.
Recipe adapted from Camille’s Kitchen